Wisconsin Rocks Volume 9 shoots right back into the 60's,and starts out with a terrific cover of "I Can Tell", gee who hasn't done a version of this song,it's a great one by The Marauders from 1964. The Journeymen do a version of the Yardbirds classic "Mister You're A Better Man Than I", I kind of love their other song on here "Realities In Life" which just rolls along much better than their cover. See kids,your own songs are much better! Cover songs are always going to be judged alongside the originals,and often fall short of wonderful. It's hard to compete with the Yardbirds...Now the Girls Take Over would most likely whip the Yardbird's asses easily. Their song "Hi Heel Sneakers" feels a lot like a precursor to The Runaways. We love that tough chick band sound around here!
The Girls Take Over are perhaps the highlight of this comp. Woah, dig their sound. An speaking of chicks who rock...Raylene & The Three Hoods kicks your ass as well with a version of "Shakin' All Over". Yow! I love The Faros,this song appears on the wonderful Highs In The Mid-60's /Pebbles comps with "I'm Crying" (vintage 1966) also a cover by Eric Burden & The Animals. Speaking of more covers...The Hitchhikers do "One Too Many Mornings", terrific folk rock sounds here from 1967.
The Crucibles from Madison do a credible surfy-garage song called "Beware Of Birds"... and it appeared on Madtown Records. The Coachmen "Movin" doesn't quite fit,because it's an early 60's track,from 1962 and has the instrumental surf sounds, but I still like the total primitive sound to it! I'd rather hear that than a lame attempt at the Beatle's track "Hey Bulldog", another weak yet charming track is the version of "Hole In My Shoe". Where do you know that track from? It's Traffic that originally did it. Some things just should not be revisited.
Oh well, everyone wants to be a rock star,right?
Another highlight of this particular comp is my favorite The Statesmen with "Roo-Buh-Doo-Buh-Doo" a really silly,wonderful track,that's unforgettable,it moves right along and sounds like a take off of the fabulous Minneapolis band the Trashmen or possibly the Rivingtons type mumble jumble silliness that in fact makes a great pop song! Those are the ones that kids like!
Those are the ones that sell! Shoulda coulda been a hit! Well, it's a hit with me.
I doubt you will find anything more fun, than this music from Wisconsin! Enjoy!
Wisconsin Rocks Volume 9 Various Artists
01. The Marauders - I Can Tell (Coulee 110)
02. The Journeymen - You're A Better Man Than I (Tee Pee 57/58)
03. The Journeymen - Realities In Life (Tee Pee 57/58)
04. The Girls Take Over - High Heel Sneakers (Pentagon 2002)
05. Raylene & The Blue Angels - Shakin' All Over (Cuca 6633)
06. Robin & The Three Hoods - We The Living (Fan Jr. 5678)
07. Robin & The Three Hoods - A Day You'll Never Forget (Fan Jr. 5678)
08. The Glass Candle - Keep Right On Living (Target 1004)
09. The Faros - I'm Crying (Target 103/104)
10. The Faros - I'm Calling You Back (Target 103/104)
11. The Hitchhikers - One Too Many Mornings (Cuca 6741)
12. The Syndicate - Next 21st Of May (Tee Pee 45/46)
13. The Intruders - The World You Created(In Your Mind) (Claremont 665)
14. The Crucibles - Beware Of Birds (Madtown 401)
15. The Sandmen - You And I (Night Owl 6769)
16. The Primates - Girl Don't Tell Me (Leaf 667)
17. The Ricochettes - I Don't Want You (Destination 629)
18. The Love Society - Without You (Tee Pee 3878)
19. The Private Property - Jewelry Lady (Tee Pee 35/36)
20. The Private Property Of Digil - Sunshine Flames (Tee Pee 23/24)
21. The Coachmen - Movin' (Type 3580)
22. The Coachmen - Hey Bulldog (Target 1009)
23. The Unchained Mynds - Hole In My Shoe (Transaction 707)
24. The Unchained Mynds - Warm Smoke (Transaction 707)
25. The Statesmen - Roo-Buh-Doo-Buh-Doo (Raynard 014)
Wisconsin Rocks Volume 9
5 hours ago